There are lots of services which offer help and support to improve your quality of life and allow you to continue to live in your own home. For example, if you are elderly or disabled, have a long-term health condition or are unwell. However, it can sometimes be confusing to try to work out what help is available and who offers what services.

There are various agencies involved in providing help and support in your community including your local authority social care or social work department, as well as NHS Scotland, for example your GP. The term ‘social care’ is used to describe care services in your community provided by your local authority. It can also be called community care.

Everyone’s needs are unique. No two people will require exactly the same amount, or type, of support. If you're having problems getting services or getting the support that is right for you, you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau.

Free online advice and self-help on Health and community care is available from Citizens Advice